The Rich of Beautiful History of Morro de São Paulo
In addition to the beautiful numbered beaches, boat and catamaran trips, Morro de São Paulo also offers several leisure activities and tours about its history. Eight out of ten Brazilians consider beaches essential in their travel destinations, which makes Brazilians the people most passionate about the coast in the world, according to the American consultancy Harris Interactive.
In Morro de São Paulo , the famous numbered beaches prove this statistic, as they receive thousands of tourists – Brazilian and from all over the world – at various times of the year. But when choosing this paradise in the state of Bahia as your next travel destination, it is essential to also know the tours in Morro de São Paulo, which help to tell a little more about the history of this region of Ilha de Tinharé, in the city of Cairu.
Also known as Fonte do Imperador, Fonte Grande was recognized and declared a National Historic Landmark in 1943, almost 200 years after its foundation, in 1746, by the then Viceroy of Brazil, André de Melo de Castro.
At the time, Fonte Grande was the main source of drinking water supply and an example of Colonial Brazil technology.
The name Fonte do Imperador was given in 1859, when Emperor Dom Pedro II would have bathed in Fonte Grande together with the Marquesa de Santos. Currently, the fountain is not used for bathing or for water supply, but it is a historical monument and certainly one of the most interesting walks in Morro de São Paulo.
The Morro de São Paulo Lighthouse was built over seven years (1848 – 1855). When it was completed, it was considered the most modern lighthouse on the coast of Brazil and to this day, at 89 meters high, it maintains its importance as an orientation point for sailors who want to reach the island of Tinharé.
Currently, the lighthouse is maintained by the Brazilian Navy and receives visitors looking for a privileged view of the beautiful beaches of Morro de São Paulo and all the exuberance of the Atlantic Forest still preserved.
For the more adventurous, there is a lookout next to the lighthouse from where the longest zip line in Latin America departs, 57 meters high and 340 meters long.
The Tapirandú Fortress, the original name of the giant structure that became known only as “O Forte”, began to be built in 1630 for military purposes, but today it is the destination of tourists looking for tours in Morro de São Paulo.
At the time of its foundation, the Fort was a strategic point for the defense of the entire Tinharé Archipelago.
The wear and tear of time, as well as the battles faced with heavy artillery and cannon balls, left the Fort quite shaken, but since 2010 it has been undergoing restoration work.
Every evening, the Fortress of Tapirandú is the meeting point for natives and tourists who seek to witness the beauty of the sunset in Morro de São Paulo .
The Portaló was the improvement of a work begun in 1536 after the arrival of the squadron commanded by Francisco Romero, an important lieutenant in the Portuguese Navy. At the time, the goal was to build a portal, with huge wooden doors that were closed at night to guard the entrance to the city.
The construction of the Portaló as it can be seen today took 100 years, but it recorded in the history of Morro de São Paulo the importance of this monument. When arriving with catamaran in Morro de São Paulo it will certainly pass under the Portaló.